Response to Simon

Simon

I'm sorry that you have decided to take offence. None was meant by anyone and an examination of what was said clearly indicates that no offence was intended. I do feel that you have a tendency some times to missinterpert things. For example the person that asked you for a gig for a Co-op band after you had made the offer(!) was not the committee chair (Py is) and, even if he was, what difference does it make? You ran two good workshops and were both paid and applauded for them. Was that not thanks enough? The fact that you made a proposal to radically change what the BJMC does and it was not accepted is just democracy in action really. Not something to get offended over! I seriously doubt any of us would want to stop booking you. You make an important contribution and I know that many of the members value what you bring. We are really up for a debate actually but lets keep it rational and not emotional as that is not in anyone's interest.

The comments by myself about the different ideas that different tutors bring to the workshops were examples to illustrate the benefit of diversity of approaches. They are all excellent ideas and of real value. It is unfair of you to imply that I was reducing what they do to these examples. I know that many members start to incorporate these ideas into their practice routines. Sometime people have to hear an idea several times before they start to use it.

I have seen many players develop and often then move on to bands or more demanding environments. I could name you half a dozen jazz pros that started at the BJMC. Of course the overall standard is not going to change that much. The BJMC is not a band. It is a workshop and learning environment. It is one of several learning opportunities in the locality and the large attendances reflect that it fills a wanted niche. In fact I think the current standard is higher than it has been for several years but that does present newcomers to improvisation with a problem if we are only going to meet the needs of those players as well.

I think that there is a place for a practice band that caters for the more advanced players. This would need consistent tuition along the lines that you propose. Why not start one up? That's what other people like Simon D'Souza have done. I think there would be a lot of takers.

Best wishes

Steve